Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Poetry and Basketball

Recently I have been listening to a lot of poetry in my car such as  T.S. Elliot, Walt Whitman, Allan Ginsberg, Sylvia Plath, and a whole lot more.  I suggest it as an alternative to listening to music all the time.  As strange as it sounds it's made me realize that i'm actually going somewhere on that trance like strip of gravel called a highway. Yup,  awareness is pretty cool...Moving on.


Basketball is my favorite sport 
I like the way they dribble up and down the court.


Well not really, but my Mom was in he WBL (old name for the WNBA) so I grew up around a lot of basketball.  I played plenty of sports as a kid, but somehow I ended up engrossed in English literature at a liberal arts school that doesn't care about sports in the slightest.  Everyone is a writer, dancer, or actor (or something affiliated with these departments) here and doesn't go to sports games.  There is just no support.  In fact I am certain only ten people from my school watched the Spurs vs Heat game tonight (let alone knew it was even on).

What I think I want to say is that there has always been a gap between the "artsy" people and the "jocks."  Our school caters to the arts.  Other schools cater to sports. That being said if you feel as though you can relate with one of these categories, don't let it decide who your friends are and who is worth your attention.  There's poetry to be found in basketball and many other sports as well.  Or at least I think so.


No comments:

Post a Comment