Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Slaughterhouse-Five

Killed a midterm this morning; I made my 100th post yesterday; spring breaks approaching; and I’m cruising down the freeway of life! Taking big breaths of oxygen and whatever else is in the air and just enjoying it. 
On a darker note however, I finished the book Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.  Apart from the fact that it was brilliantly written, the themes and scenarios that make up the book are dreadfully dark.  Vonnegut tries to explain what happened in the bombing of Dresden where hundreds of thousands of Germans died.  He uses time travel, aliens, vibrating beds, crashing planes, and so many other unconventional things to get at the root of the problem of people rationalizing death and destruction.  He puts one death next to thousands and demands (sometimes not even human deaths) that we put them on the same level using the ominous expression “So it goes” to resolve the rationalization of every demise.   Though it’s a brief review and only covers a small portion of this fantastic work of literature I hope I did not miss the mark in my understanding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment